Rights? Marriage? Whatever do you mean?

I will get back to Pat’s “Tumbling Wall” a little later. First I want to address an issue that has been on my mind: Gay Rights and the issue of marriage.

My heart bleeds over the anguish many gays suffer for the simple (and courageous) act of declaring themselves to be homosexual. I despise the hateful ways in which gays are punished by society in general and religious communities in particular.

While I am sympathetic and supportive of gay rights I am not in favor of the right of gays to “marry”. During the last 25 years they have mostly won the same legal protections of mainstream society. The barriers to legally recognized civil unions have been removed. So why do some gays continue to fight for the additional “right” to the term “marriage” be attached to their unions? “Marriage” has had a significant and restrictive definition since before the dawn of recorded history (one man and one woman).  That fact alone overrides any of the current arguments to the contrary, I’m afraid.

Sometimes it seems to me that this struggle over marriage rights is simply a “movement of disruption” with no underlying significance.

The struggle now for the GLBT should be for social equality, the marriage issue having been resolved through the courts; but social equality can’t be achieved through the court system, it being by nature a struggle for the hearts and minds of the people.

Strange as it may seem I am not against adoption by gay couples in certain circumstances. I believe that children are best nurtured in a heterosexual environment, but if that isn’t possible for whatever reason, a loving home should take precedence over all other considerations including gender.

For the record I am against all “Special Rights” declared by the government. I don’t abide by distinctions such as “affirmative action”, or “hate crimes” (all crime being hateful) or all the other rights of so-called minorities. One of the greatest documents ever written is our Constitution and it has provisions to assure that “ALL men are created equal” as stated so eloquently by Martin Luther King. We don’t need more distinctions we need more adherence to the Constitution. 

No comments:

Post a Comment